Comfort food just got a makeover with my Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe!
Mac & Cheese is my ultimate comfort food vice. I like the southern baked kind, the creamy saucy kind and really even the kind right out of the box. I'm a first class, equal opportunity Mac & Cheese lover. There is not a kind I don't like! Unless you sneak bacon or ham in it... that's not fair!
Now as much as I love it, I know it's not the best for me so I do try to eat it in moderation OR eat my new made over Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe!
What if I told you there was an entire head of cauliflower snuck in there?!? <---Three CHEERS for veggies!
And that the cauliflower doesn't take away from the cheeeeeeesssiiii-ness... it really just adds to it? FOR REAL, friends.
I mean look at that bite! I can't even think with that kind of cheese on the table.
This Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe is really pretty simple. Turns out the cauliflower puree is actually the perfect way to combine the cheese into a sauce without having to use butter or flour. You just steam cauliflower, puree it and then melt the cheese into it. It melts right in wonderfully!
I top the casserole with panko and a little parmesan to get that golden brown color. We do eat with our eyes after all.
Underneath that perfectly crispy shell, the Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe is so flavorful. The addition of good sharp cheddar cheese and traditional Mac & Cheese spices keep you from even tasting it. I suspect you'd even be able to trick the kids and hubby with this one... just sayin!
You can bake it in a larger casserole dish or small individual ones.
Either way, my Cauliflower Mac & Cheese recipe has got to go the top of your must-try list now! It's the kind of recipe you'll make again and again.
And we all can rejoice for enjoying healthy comfort food with a twist!
I hope you enjoy this and as always let me know what you think!
Like it? Find this recipe later by pinning this to a favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for the support.
Healthier Mac & Cheese- yes! Hidden Veggie Creamy Cauliflower Mac & Cheese #recipe #healthy Click To Tweet
Creamy Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Steam the cauliflower in a steam basket until very tender.
- While the cauliflower is steaming cook the pasta in a large pot with salted water 1 minute less than the box instructions. It will be just slightly al dente and will continue to cook in the oven. Drain and set aside.
- Using a blender or food processor, mix the cauliflower and milk until it's a smooth puree. Make sure there are no clumps.
- Put the cauliflower puree back in your large pot. Heat to medium low heat. Start adding the cheese one handful at a time and stir until it melts. Also add the garlic powder, mustard powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Once the cheese is all melted, add the macaroni back into the pot. Stir until well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings / salt/pepper to taste. Pour the entire mixture into a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix the panko, parmesan and olive oil together. Evenly spread the bread crumb mixture on top of the casserole.
- Bake in oven 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Thanks for stopping by today! Tomorrow is Fashion Friday and I have a new look to share.
What's your favorite comfort food?