- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 15oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼-1/2+ teaspoon cayenne or chipotle pepper
- salt to taste (start with ¼ teaspoon)
- pepper to taste (start with ¼ teaspoon)
- 1 recipeCilantro Lime Brown Rice
- In a large pan with a lid over medium heat, saute the peppers and onions in the olive oil for about five minutes or until starting to turn tender.
- Reduce pan to medium-low heat and add the garlic and continue to saute for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Do not allow the garlic to burn.
- Add the beans, tomato and spices to the pan. Cover and allow the beans to simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- If you have additional time you can allow the beans to simmer for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to build more flavor.
- Serve the bean mixture over a bed of rice and enjoy!
Like it? I’d love it if you could pin this to your favorite Pinterest board! Thank you so much for the support.
Classic, Healthy & Easy Black Beans and Rice w/ Cilantro Lime Rice Click To Tweet
Want more healthy Mexican dishes?
Easy Black Beans and Rice
This 2013 Running in a Skirt recipe got a complete makeover in 2017!
What dish do you make without having to think about it?
I’m linking up my Easy Black Beans and Rice with: Meatless Monday with Sarah and Deborah, Meatless Monday with Annmarie and Rachel, Delicious Dish Tuesday, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday, Full Plate Thursday with Miz Helen, FoodFriDIY, Foodie Friday, and the Weekend Potluck. Thanks so much ladies for the link up parties!