Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole
Cook Mexican food at home in your slow cooker with this Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole recipe! This vegetarian casserole is loaded with layers of corn tortillas, black beans, tomatoes, and cheese for a healthy dinner that's as easy as it is tasty!
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 14.5 ounce cans reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 ounce can garlic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can green chilies
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper, optional
- 12 small corn tortillas, taco sized
- 1/2 cup salsa or your favorite enchilada sauce
- 2 cups reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Cooking spray
- Toppings: Plain greek yogurt and salsa or sliced avocado, diced tomatoes, cilantro and green onions
Spray a large oval Crock Pot with cooking spray.
In a non-stick skillet over medium heat, sauté the pepper and onion in the olive oil 3-5 minutes until they are tender and the onions are turning translucent. Sprinkle with some of the salt, pepper, and seasonings. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Add the drained black beans, can of tomatoes and green chilies. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes on medium-low heat. Add the rest of the seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
Start the enchilada stack by laying a single layer of tortillas on the bottom of the Crock Pot.
Add 1/3 of the black bean mixture to the top of the tortillas. Layer 1/4 of the cheese on top of that. Add two more layers of the same thing.
Finish off the stack with another layer of tortilla, the salsa or enchilada sauce and the last of the cheese.
Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Garnish and serve! Also great as leftovers.
Serve this Crock Pot Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole with your favorite toppings like plain greek yogurt, salsa, avocado, cilantro, or tomato.
This dish reheats well in the microwave for leftovers.
Calories: 252kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 14gFat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 876mgPotassium: 408mgFiber: 8gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1045IUVitamin C: 24mgCalcium: 407mgIron: 2mg